Twindom Twinstant Mobile: how does it work?
Our review: the quality of the 3D printed figurines by Twindom Twinstant Mobile
The fabrication of 3D printing selfies, figurines or 3D portraits require specific industrial-grade 3D printers, capable of producing stone-like objects in full color, with a high level of details. Only a handful of machines are capable to produce such high-quality 3D figurines, mainly the Projet industrial 3D printers from 3D Systems. These additive manufacturing systems are quite expensive and require specific skills to operate and maintain.
The 3D printed figurines produced and delivered via Twindom’s global network are made by external 3D printing services specialized in full-color 3D printing and equipped with these full-color 3D printers.
Today, we’re going to review the print quality of 3D printed figurines we received from Twindom to present three level of finishes available for customers via the Twindom Cloud Platform.
1. Basic retouching
- Our opinion: the figurine is very realistic, details such as the crease on the lady’s dress or the hair are impressive. The surface of the figurine feels like sandstone and the object is quite heavy like a real mini-statue. The coloring on the hands (in-between fingers) is a little bit sloppy on this model.
2. TwinProtect™ Coating
TwinProtect™ Coating is a UV-resistant and water-resistant smooth matte-finish layer added to the 3D printed figurine in post-processing. The result: a visually stunning miniature figurine, with a soft touch. The waterproof coating can be particularly interesting if you intend to use the 3D figurine to play with kids for example.
- Our opinion: the coating on this model gives it a very nice shiny/glossy feel, very different than the sandstone feeling on the other 3D printed figurines we received for this test. The TwinProtect Coating adds a layer of protection which reinforces the 3D figurine and makes it waterproof. It feels more solid than the sandstone versions, you can drop it and it won’t break. This model is the smallest in size (around 10cm) so details are slightly less accurate than on larger versions.
3. HD Retouching
HD Retouching makes prints “pop” with a “high-definition” geometry and texture touch-up. The 3D designer spends extra time with the 3D scan and will perform the following tasks to enhance the final result:
- retexturization of the hair
- enhanced webbing removal
- adding details on the face, ears, eyes, nostrils, fingers, fingernails and shoes
- crease/fold creation on clothing
- Our opinion: this one is our favorite, the HD retouching makes the figurine really photo-realistic, the colors are vivid and even small details are rendered accurately. The surface offers a very nice soft sandstone feel. The size is also important, as small and intricate details are easier to 3D print on larger models (this figurine is around 18 cm or 7 inches).
Overall, we were quite impressed by the quality and the actual feeling when holding these figurines in hands. We would recommend to use the TwinProtect Coating option if the figurine is likely to be used by kids for play, or to be located outdoors. The HD finish delivers impressive results, with a real sandstone touch, vivid colors and photorealistic details. It’s like holding a real statue of a 3D photo (which is the goal of making a 3D printed figurine of course, but it feels special when you actually see it!).
In terms if size, take into account the fact that tiny details might not be perfect on the smaller 4 inches figurines!