Liquid Crystal HR (High-Res)
|Technology||Resin > LCD|
|Topic||Resin 3D printing|
|Build volume||196 × 147 × 250 mm7.72 × 5.79 × 9.84 in|
Photocentric Liquid Crystal HR (High-Res) review
Users can obtain such results with a lot of patience, whether it be for cleaning up or preparing for various unsuccessful 3D prints.
The Photocentric Liquid Crystal HR is a relatively affordable alternative to higher-end professional resin 3D printers such as the Formlabs Form 2 ($3,299).
In the LC HR’s price range, we believe that other options provide a higher value or a smoother 3D printing experience. For example, the Wanhao Duplicator 7 ($399) and the Peopoly Moai ($1,200) have received good general feedback from the 3D printing community.
- Very high precision and great levels of detail
- Intuitive user interface
- Modern design
- Low repeatability, as it greatly depends on the “vague” homing process
- The screwed vat film system isn’t optimal and is difficult to replace
- Having to sand the build platform for adhesion
- Requires a dedicated room with very good ventilation (and ideally with controlled light exposition, temperature and hygrometry)
- Many long cleaning steps, while putting up with toxic resin odors
Photocentric Liquid Crystal HR (High-Res) overview
The Photocentric Liquid Crystal High-Res (HR) is a desktop 3D printer made by Photocentric. Photocentric is a resin manufacturer based in the UK and the US. This 3D printer is also known as the Photocentric LC HR and provides high-resolution 3D printing.
A newer version of this 3D printer exists: Photocentric Liquid Crystal High-Res 2.
The Photocentric Liquid Crystal HR is based on a proprietary technology called DPP (Daylight Polymer Printing), similar to DLP (Digital Light Processing). A proprietary liquid resin (Daylight Photopolymer or Daylight resin from Photocentric) is selectively cured layer after layer to build a 3D part. It takes between 23 and 55 seconds to solidify one layer when using the 100 micron resolution setting.
This 3D printer offers a build volume of 196 x 147 x 250 mm, which is relatively large for a desktop resin 3D printer.
Photocentric Liquid Crystal High-Res main features
- High-resolution LCD screen: the 9.7-inch LCD screen used to solidify the resin offers a high resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels.
- XY resolution: Photocentric’s Liquid Crystal HR offers a great resolution of 96 microns, or 0,096 mm.
- Touchscreen: the LCHR offers a friendly user interface with its 7-inch color touchscreen.
- Software: this resin 3D printer requires Creation Workshop software, compatible with Windows. A free, one-year software license is provided with this 3D printer.
A dedicated part-washing unit– Photocentric Wash– and liquid resin cleaner are also available separately. The Photocentric Wash unit is able to easily clean parts in a few minutes.
Photocentric LCHR price
The manufacturer price of the LCHR is £1,599. A 1kg Daylight resin bundle is available for an additional £45. Photocentric also manufactures UV resins.