The Prusa Research Original Prusa SL1 kit is an open-source desktop resin 3D printer by Prusa Research, a manufacturer from the Czech Republic. Prusa Research, formerly Prusa3D, is led by Josef Prusa, the original creator of the Prusa i3 3D printer model.
The Original Prusa SL1 is Prusa Research’s first resin 3D printer and it uses MSLA (stereolithography) 3D printing technology. This technology uses the 3D printer’s high-resolution LCD screen and UV LED to solidify photo-sensitive liquid resin.
The Prusa SL1 DIY resin 3D printer is easy enough to use for beginners and hobbyists and is sufficiently accurate for professional users (jewelry, dentistry, prototyping, etc.).
DIY Prusa Research SL1 main features
Some of the Prusa resin printer kit’s most interesting features include:
- Accuracy: this resin 3D printer kit is able to 3D print layers of 0.01mm thick.
- Tilting print bed: according to the manufacturer, this avoids layer shifting and stirs the resin.
- Resin level sensor: the SL1 kit is able to detect if there is enough resin to complete a 3D print or not.
- FEP vat film: the resin tank boasts flexible FEP film which is affordable and easy to replace.
- Open material compatibility: users may choose any type and brand of resin.
The SL1 also boasts a number of user-friendly features, including auto-calibration, a quick-release build plate, vapor extraction, and a full-color LCD touchscreen.
Additionally, Prusa Research manufactures a 2-in-1 washing and curing machine.
Prusa Research Original Prusa SL1 kit price
The manufacturer price of the Prusa SL1 resin 3D printer DIY kit is €1,399 (or €1,799 with the 2-in-1 machine). The Prusa resin 3D printer is also available preassembled for €1,699 (€2,098 with the washing and curing machine).
Discover more resin 3D printers with our 3D printer comparison engine.