The Microsoft HoloLens 2 is a wireless mixed reality HMD (head-mounted display) made by Microsoft, a well-known multinational technology company based in the US. This is the 2nd generation device to the Microsoft HoloLens from 2016.
The HoloLens 2 is designed to work with Microsoft’s latest generation of the Kinect sensor and runs on a custom version of Windows 10.
HoloLens 1 vs. HoloLens 2
Some of the main improvements with the HoloLens 2 MR headset include:
- Processing power: with its Snapdragon 850 Compute Platform, the HoloLens 2 is more powerful than its predecessor.
- FOV: at 52°, the HoloLens 2’s field of view is larger, offering a more immersive MR experience for the user. The original HoloLens only has an FOV of 30°.
- Battery life: the HoloLens 2 features a 3-hour battery life, while the HoloLens 1 has a 2.5-hour battery life.
- Design and fit: according to Microsoft, the HoloLens 2 offers a lighter and more ergonomic fit than the original HoloLens. The HMD also now features a flip-up visor which allows users to enter/exit mixed reality more quickly.
HoloLens 2 main features
- Ease of use: users may easily control the MR smartglasses thanks to gesturing and gaze tracking as well as voice support. The headset is able to accurately map and interact with the users’ environment thanks to various sensors and depth cameras.
- Holographic lenses: the head-mounted display features two transparent lenses (or “waveguides”) with automatic IPD calibration.
- Hand tracking: thus allows for better immersion in MR for the user with even fingers being tracked.
- Camera: the HoloLens 2 features an 8 MP camera that is able to record video in 1080p.
Microsoft HoloLens 2 price
The Microsoft HoloLens 2 wireless MR headset is available for $3,500.
Discover more MR headsets as well as VR and AR devices with our comparison engine.