Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z5 review
Overall, we found our first smartphone VR experience with the BOBOVR a mix of minor frustrations and some fun entertainment experiences. We tend to agree with the general user feedback being positive for this smartphone headset at its price point.
The BOBOVR Z5 has a very affordable price point, is very easy to use and, although it is not the top affordable mobile smartphone for Google Cardboard, it is a very good option for users looking to get into virtual reality. Furthermore, the addition of a controller would have undoubtedly added value to the limited VR experience.
- Affordable smartphone VR headset
- Compatible with iOS and Android smartphones
- Easy to use for VR newcomers
- Limited VR interaction without a controller
- Head strap and fit does not easily fit all head sizes and hairstyles
Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z5 overview
The Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z5 is a virtual reality smartphone headset made by Xiaozhai, a manufacturer based in China. The manufacturer also produces the Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z4.
This Google Cardboard VR headset is compatible with both iPhone and Android smartphones with display sizes between 4 and 6 inches. Depending on the size of the smartphone, the field of view (FOV) ranges from 96° to 120°.
Users appreciate the wide FOV which offers an immersive experience. The overall opinion of users is fairly positive for the price point, especially regarding the comfort of the design.
However, although the VR headset was designed to work with Daydream, some users found that it was not the case.
BOBOVR Z5 main features
- IPD and lens-to-eye adjustment: the design adjusts to the user’s sight.
- Balanced HMD design and soft foam for comfort: reduces fatigue, and provides a comfortable user experience.
- Built-in adjustable headphones: provides audio for a more immersive user experience.
- Third-party controller compatibility: users may use a Daydream-compatible controller (not included) for a more intuitive user experience.
Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z5 price
This mobile VR headset is available for under $40 (see on Amazon).
Discover more virtual reality smartphone headsets with our comparison engine.