The Studio is a metal 3D printer by Desktop Metal, a US-based manufacturer.
The Studio is around 10x cheaper than other 3D printers with the same features.
Desktop Metal Studio technology
Unlike laser-based systems that selectively melt metal powder, the Studio 3D printer extrudes bound metal rods–similar to how a plastic FDM printer works. This eliminates the safety requirements associated with metal 3D printing while opening up new alloys and enabling new features like the use of closed-cell infill for lightweight strength. Desktop Metal calls its core technology “Microwave Enhanced Sintering”.
The Desktop Metal Studio can 3D print as fast as 16 cm3/hr.
Similar to Metal Injection Molding (MIM), the Studio System leverages bulk sintering to achieve densities greater than 98%. Parts perform similar to wrought alloys and, with closed-cell infill, it’s possible to tune part density.
Desktop Metal Studio features
The Desktop Metal Studio support interesting features such as:
- a software controlled workflow: unlike other systems that require 3rd party equipment, the Studio system was designed as a complete workflow. Every stage of the process is fully automated and managed by a software.
- proprietary separable supports technology: making it possible to remove parts by hand. No wire EDM or machining is needed, unlike current metal 3D printing, because supports are not bonded to parts. As a result, highly complex parts and print-in-place assemblies can be easily printed and put to use.
Desktop Metal Studio price
The Desktop Metal Studio recommended price is $120k. It includes:
- DM Studio Printer (add additional Printers for $49,900 + tax)
- DM Studio Debinder (add additional Debinders for $9,900 + tax)
- DM Studio Furnace (add additional Furnaces for $59,900 + tax)
- Consumable Starter Kit (media, gas, debinder fluid, effluent filters and build plates)
- Installation and training by DM Sales Partner
- Cloud-based software & updates (local cloud option available)
- 1-year warranty and maintenance