|Technology||Resin > SLA|
|Topic||Resin 3D printing|
|Build volume||146 × 145 × 185 mm5.75 × 5.71 × 7.28 in|
Formlabs Form 3 overview
The Formlabs Form 3 is a professional resin 3D printer by Formlabs, a popular 3D printer manufacturer from the US. Formlabs focuses on delivering high print quality and reliability.
This industrial-grade SLA 3D printer is suitable for prototyping and small production series. The Form 3 is user-friendly and, according to Formlabs, is plug-n-play. Its cartridge material system indeed eliminates many painful steps implied by manual material loading.
Formlabs Form 3 vs. Form 2
The Form 3 is an evolution of the manufacturer’s award-winning Form 2 printers. In comparison, the Form 3 boasts:
- A slightly larger build volume
- An air-heated chamber (up to 35°C) instead of a self-heating resin tank
- A thinner laser spot size
- LED status indicators and a speaker for audio alerts
- A larger and higher-resolution touch screen interface
Low Force Stereolithography (LFS) technology
With the Form 3 and Form 3L, Formlabs is introducing their new LFS (Low Force Stereolithography) technology. This 3D printing method uses a flexible tank and linear illumination, dramatically improving print quality and repeatability by reducing peel forces.
LFS technology allows for better part surfaces and easy support removal. It also makes it possible to 3D print complex materials (e.g. high viscosity resins).
Form 3D resin 3D printer main features
- Light Processing Unit (LPU): the high-power-density 250mW laser inside this unit delivers highly precise prints. The module moves laterally below the resin tank, contrary to the usual fixed lasers or projectors that can be found on standard resin 3D printers.
- Constant monitoring: the Form 3 constantly monitors its printing process and is able to notify users of its progress. Its various optical sensors also provide constant automatic calibration, and can even detect if there is unwanted dust in the machine.
- User-friendly cartridge system: users may switch materials simply by replacing the resin cartridge. There is no need for pouring the resin into the tank manually.
Formlabs also highlights that all of the Form 3’s main components can be manually replaced by the user. This way, users can quickly replace parts in-house instead of sending the 3D printer to the manufacturer for repair.
Formlabs resins and post-processing stations
Formlabs SLA 3D printers are compatible only with proprietary materials. Over 20 different resins are available for purchase from Formlabs, including tough resins, high temperature resistant resins, castable resins, and more.
Additionally, users can streamline their productions thanks to the FormWash and FormCure stations (available separately). FormWash rinses prints, while FormCure cures prints.
Formlabs Form 3 price
Please contact the manufacturer to obtain a quote for this professional desktop resin 3D printer.
Discover more 3D printers with our 3D printer comparison engine.