|Material||Thermoplastics > Standard (PLA, ABS…)|
|Build size||223 × 223 × 205 mm8.78 × 8.78 × 8.07 in|
Ultimaker Ultimaker 2+ review
Those who decide to go with an Ultimaker 2+ will not be disappointed. It’s a versatile tool that gets the job done quickly and effectively, most of the time. It looks great anywhere and won’t chew up valuable desktop real estate.
A high price and hobbled printing software can ward off more value-conscious consumers, with competitors quickly zeroing in on the same specs at prices significantly lower than $2500 USD. For example, another solid offer on the market is the Zortrax M200 which is a little bit less expensive and comes with dedicated software.
- Small Desktop Footprint
- Large Build Volume
- High Speed / High Resolution
- Variable Nozzle Capability
- Excellent Design and UX
- Very Good Setup Guide
- Slow Slicer with terrible UX
- 3 mm filament size may limit material availability in certain regions.
- Glass build plate can be temperamental
- Manual build plate leveling
- No Enclosure
Ultimaker Ultimaker 2+ overview
The Ultimaker 2+ is a desktop 3D printer made by Ultimaker, a manufacturer based in the Netherlands. The Ultimaker 2+ was announced during the CES 2016. It replaces the well known Ultimaker 2, a 3D printer that has been selected as one of the best “Enthusiast” option in the 3D Hubs 2015 and 2016 reports.
This 3D printer offers a very high 3D printing resolution of 20 microns and uses 2.85 – 3 mm diameter filament (less common than 1.75 mm).
At this price level, the Ultimaker 2+ is one of the best desktop 3D printers based on the FFF technology. The Ultimaker 2 Extended+ features a bigger build volume.
Ultimaker 2+ main features
- Semi-closed frame: protects 3D prints compared to open-framed 3D printers, while leaving room for monitoring with an open front side.
- Heated print bed: allow printing with PLA, ABS or CPE (also called UPET).
- Innovative extruding system: the motor driving the filament to the hot end is not positioned on the moving head, but next to the filament spool, on the back of the 3D printer. On the extruder the airflows have been optimized for smoother 3D prints.
- Adjustable gear strength: the gear strength can be adjusted to fit the 3D filament’s properties, offering better 3D print quality at high moving speeds.
- Swappable nozzles: the nozzle can be easily removed and replaced. Furthermore, several sizes are available including 0.25, 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8 mm for all kinds of 3D print jobs.
Ultimaker 2+ price
The Ultimaker 2+ is at the manufacturer price of $1,895. This 3D printer is available on Amazon.
See more desktop 3D printers with our comparison engine and compare up to three products side-by-side.