3D body scanning or full body 3D scanning
What is 3D body scanning?
3D scanners are revolutionizing the way we are measuring human bodies, shapes and even skin surface area. The improvement of the whole-body 3D scanning technology is leading towards an infinity of possibilities in various areas.
3D body scanners can capture a whole human body in very high definition within a few seconds. All the measurements are numerically made, removing all possibility of human error from the equation.
What are the benefits of 3D body scanning?
3D body scanning has many advantages:
- Non invasive: 3D body scanning is an entirely non invasive process. The 3D scanner never enters directly in contact with the subject. The device is hold at a some distance, the exact measure depending on the model.
- Fast: Scanning in 3D a person with a 3D scanning booth takes less than 10 second. The numérisation of the person can be made very fast.
- Precise: 3D scanners are very precise. They can detect things the human eye can’t. The precision is varying depending on the model.
- Adapted for large scale studies: As 3D body scanners only need a few seconds to provide accurate results, it’s possible to use them to 3D scan a large population.
The applications of 3D body scanning (source: popularmechanics.com).
The applications for 3D body scanning
3D body scanning can have an endless number of applications. Among them the most common ones are :
- 3D Figurines: also called 3D selfies they are small representations of a person or subject. They can be printed in 3D.
- Fitness: 3D scanning recently entered the fitness field with a lot of success. Scanners are used to track the progress of a person and to help stay on track.
- Clothing industry: the clothing industry is starting to use 3D body scanners to offer to their consumers the possibility to virtually try on clothes.
- Health Care: the medical industry has many uses 3D body scanners. For example to give more precise treatments, to do human studies or to help cure burns.
- Avatar creation: Whole body 3D numérisation can be used to create realistic avatars.
3D body scanning and 3D printed figurines
The 3D printed figurines also know as 3D Selfies, 3D statues, “mini-me” or 3D portraits are a miniature representation of a person. With the improvement of the 3D scanning and 3D printing technologies it is now possible to create an accurate 3D printed statuettes.
Their are only two big steps to make a 3D portrait:
- 3D scanning the subject. This step is usually made by a professional to have a better result.
- 3D printing in color the 3D model and waiting for the “mini-me” to be delivered.
3D selfies make great presents are perfect to keep a souvenir from a special occasion (wedding, graduation…).
3D printed figurines (source: Twindom).
2 person getting 3D scanned in the Twinstant Mobile (source: Twindom).
Get 3D scanned to make your 3D printed figurine
Making a 3D printed figurine starts by a 3D body scan. The subject has to hold the pose for around 10 seconds. The 3D model obtained is then processed through a 3D modeler software and sent to printing.
The company Twindom launched the Twinstant mobile, a 3D scanning booth able to capture in 3D a person within a few seconds. The 3D model created can then be treated and the client will receive it within a few weeks.
The result: a photorealistic miniature 3D printed statue of the person, in vibrant color and with a high level of details.
Note: If you want more informations about 3D printed figurines, you can visit our page here.
3D body scanning for fitness
Body and Health measurement with a 3D body Scanner
3D body scanners can give very accurate information about the human body. With his razor sharp high resolution the 3D body scanner will capture millions of data points and give a rigorous body analysis.
More precise than tape measure this type all 3D body scanners can help fitness enthusiasts to track their results. Three dimension body scanning can give you information about posture, body composition, body shape… And if the 3D body scanner is associated with a weight scale you can also know your BMI (Body Mass Index) and weight.-
With to this 3D scanner, fitness enthusiasts can monitor the changes of their body shapes and determine if their are some health risks.
The 3D body scanner company Fit3D developed a device specially oriented for a fitness use. They already are distributed in many sport clubs all over the world.
3D body scanning for fitness (source: Fit3D.com).
Naked 3D body scanning solution (source: naked.com)
Set and track fitness goals with a 3D body scanner
The Naked company created Naked 3D fitness tracker, the very first home 3D body scanner. This product is here to help people to track their fitness journey in 3D. This full body 3D scanner will:
- give you accurate body measurements
- track muscle growth and fat loss
- help visualize the progress and maintain the effort
The time for the all operation is very short (under 1 minute) and the results are immediately available on the app.
Having access to all this information helps the persons to set and track their fitness goals.
3D Body scanning for fashion and clothing industry
Creating virtual fitting rooms with 3D body scanning
A 3D body scan offers a precise 3D mapping and rendering of a person’s body. It can be used to create virtual fitting rooms where shoppers visualize how clothes would fit them, without actually wearing them.
Some apparel retailers already utilize virtual fitting rooms using 3D body scanning technology. The concept is simple: The customer will first save his body profile, and then will be able to try on many items from their home or from the in-store 3D scanning booth. Using this process ensures the person that even if they couldn’t try on the clothes first, they will fit them.
Australian company mPort created the mPod, a fully automated 3D scanning booth able to map a body in seven seconds only. The customer can then use the avatar created to try on clothes digitally.
Using a 3D body scanner to try on clothes (source: wtvox.com).
The Acustom Apparel solution (source: Fizzm).
Acustom Apparel uses a 3D body scanner to gather every measurement and size from their customers. Based on those results and the personal preferences of the person an entirely custom-fitted garment is designed.
Every aspect of the piece of clothing is customizable, the customer is the designer. A personal stylist is here to help the person create their personal style.
The whole process is usually 15min long and a lot shorter than the traditional way. After completion of the design, the order takes between 3 to 6 weeks to be delivered.
Men can have perfectly fitted clothes in very short amount of time.
Creating custom clothing with 3D body scanning
A 3D body scanner gives the opportunity to create custom fitted clothes in very short amount of time.
The company Acustom Apparel uses digital measuring technology to design custom-fitted attires. Specialized in men clothing Acustom Apparel realized two things: men care about the way they look and most of them don’t have time to shop or don’t like to shop. To solve this problem, the enterprise decided to come up with an adapted solution.
Making custom clothes with 3D body scanning (source: Mikeshouts).
Whole Body 3D scanning to create avatars
3D body scanning can be used to create realistic avatars. Some industries such as retail are trying to develop this technology to improve the customer experience.
Others, such as video games creators are trying to develop ways to use accurate avatars in the games. The characters could look like the players which would increase the gaming experience.
3D scanning to make realistic avatars (source: 3Dprint.com).
3D body scanning for healthcare and medical applications
3D body scanning to help monitor a pregnancy (source: Pinterest.com).
3D body scanners are getting increasingly used in the medical sector. Thanks to his non invasive functioning, it’s rapidity and easy of use, whole body 3D scanners are perfectly adapted to the health industry.
3D body scanners have four major applications in the medical field:
- Epidemiology: is the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events in specified populations, and the application of this study to the control of health problems. 3D body scanners can be used to do anthropometric surveys. For example, a study on the evolution of obesity amongst children. 3D full body scanners are non invasive, fast and easy to use which makes them perfectly adapted to scan large populations.
- Diagnosis: 3 dimensional body scanning can help doctors to make a diagnosis. They are mainly used to treat skin related problems (bacterias in the pores, wrinkles…) and detect deformities.
- Treatment: 3D body scanners can make a huge difference between life and death for burnt patients. To give the proper amount of medicine to resuscitate the patient, the amount of burnt skin needs to be perfectly calculated. If the drug quantity isn’t right the patient might die. The use of very high precision 3D scanners can help to calculate this ratio very accurately and help give the burnt patients a better care.
- Monitoring: Full body 3D scanners can help monitor the changes in someone’s body, for example in the case of diet and exercise or during a pregnancy.
3D body scanning to customize 3D printed prosthetics
Prosthesis and orthosis are a great fit for 3D printing because they are mostly made of plastics and they require to be customized to fit perfectly the patient. With 3D printing and 3D scanning, it is now possible to build affordable prosthesis.
First the patient will receive a 3D scan either from the amputated limb or from the whole body. Using the results generated, the prosthetic will be adjusted to match very accurately the person need.
Note: If you want more informations about 3D scanning and 3D printing for the medical industry, you can visit our page here.
A customized 3D printed prosthetic (source: The Verge).
Best Scanners 3D for 3D body scanning
3D scanning booth (source: Twindom).
3D scanning booth
Most of the 3D body scanners are arranged in huge cabines where the person wanting to be 3D scanned stands in the middle and hold a pose for a few seconds.
The subject is surrounded by sensors or standing on a turntable with a fixed sensor. Those whole body 3D scanners are usually able to 3D scan in colors (with textures) a person within a few seconds.
2 technologies are mainly used:
- Photogrammetry: A very fast process consisting of taking many pictures with different angles of an object and using processing them through an algorithm to create a 3D model.
- Structured light: A serie of linears patterns are sent on a object and using trigonometric triangulation. The 3D scanner can create an accurate 3D model. To use this technique the has to stand still for some time.
Handheld 3D scanners, portable 3D scanners and wireless 3D scanners
Wireless 3D scanners are more flexible than 3D scanning booth. The user can use the handheld 3D scanner to access tricky areas to reach.
Portables 3D scanners are very polyvalent and can capture in 3D objects from different sizes, from very small and detailed objects to life size statues or even monuments. Most of the wireless 3D scanners can capture texture and colors to get some photo realistic 3D models.
The Artec Eva handheld 3D scanner (source: Artec.com).
Case study : Twindom