Original Prusa i3 MK3S
|Material||Thermoplastics > Standard (PLA, ABS…)|
|Build size||250 × 210 × 210 mm9.84 × 8.27 × 8.27 in|
Prusa Research Original Prusa i3 MK3S review
The MK3S is capable of delivering consistent quality prints and PrusaSlicer does a great job at prepping STL files. Pair them up with proprietary Prusa filament (Prusament) and you’ve got yourself an excellent 3D printer that can provide professional-grade results.
Beginners may not need to step that high up right away (a $300 3D printer can do), but will definitely want to aim for the MK3S later.
- Ease of use
- Excellent hardware and print results
- Auto bed leveling
- Flexible, magnetic build plate
- Slightly expensive
- No touchscreen or Wi-Fi
Prusa Research Original Prusa i3 MK3S overview
The Prusa Research Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ is a desktop 3D printer manufactured by Prusa Research, based in the Czech Republic. Prusa Research is a well-known brand created by Josef Prusa, inventor of the open-source Prusa i3 3D printer design.
Prusa 3D printers are highly reliable machines and can produce excellent parts right out of the box. Priced just under $1,000, the MK3S+ offers a very good price-to-performance ratio. With its open chassis and customizable “everything”, it’s a great option for those that like to get manual. Professionals who are looking for easy and low-maintenance operation may want to look at options in a higher price range.
Full review: Original Prusa i3 MK3S review
Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ vs. MK3
This 3D printer is almost identical to the popular Prusa i3 MK3. The MK3 is an iconic 3D printer with a long history of awards and a huge user base.
The main difference between the MK3S+ and the MK3 is the redesigned filament extruder. The extruder now boasts a hybrid system with both an optical filament sensor and a mechanical lever. It is also easier to change the nozzle and/or PTFE tube. The build volume remains similar to the previous version and should be more than enough for most prints.
This MK3S version also boasts minor yet smart enhancements in both its firmware and hardware.
Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ main features
- Magnetic bed with swappable steel sheets: these PEI-coated build plates enable quick and easy 3D print removal. The print bed is able to heat up to 100°C.
- EINSY RAMBo motherboard: the MK3S is able to detect shifted layers and correct its course.
- Power panic: in case of a power outage, the MK3 can resume the print where it left off. This feature does not require batteries.
- Sensing fans and Noctua: allow noise reduction when 3D printing. Also, cooling from both sides of the extruder increases the 3D printer’s overhang performance.
- Bondtech extruder: dual gears ensure a reliable grip on the filament to prevent any slipping. The nozzle can reach up to 300°C.
Original Prusa i3 MK3S price
This high-quality desktop 3D printer is available at the price of $999. Several upgrade kits are available for Original Prusa 3D printers.
Discover other 3D printers with our 3D printer comparison engine.