The 15 best cheap 3D printers under $1,000 💰
What are the best cheap 3D printers in 2016? Read our cheap 3D printer buying guide to discover 15 best budget 3D printers on the market, based on reliable 3D printer reviews. Finding an affordable 3D printer has never been easier!
What is the best cheap 3D printer on the market?
Not so long ago, buying a 3D printer was quite expensive. Nowadays, there are plenty of affordable 3D printers available, from kit 3D printers to desktop 3D printers. Even industrial 3D printers are getting cheaper! The reason? As often for consumer electronics goods, once the technology is mature enough, manufacturers can drive the production costs down, which translates to lower retail prices. That’s what happened with 3D printing: after three decades of R&D and industrial applications, 3D printer manufacturers are now targeting consumers and launching affordable 3D printers. Even if you’re on a budget, it is now possible to find a top-rated 3D printer offering a great value.
This ranking of the 15 best affordable 3D printers covers the top-rated cheap 3D printers under $1,000. For this list, we focused on the best assembled 3D printers, also referred to as desktop 3D printers. We chose not to include kit and DIY 3D printers because they require specific skills. We only focused on cheap, performant and ready-to-use 3D printers. This budget 3D printers ranking is based on the meta-ratings we use on Aniwaa, based on ratings we index from four reliable sources. This process allow us to filter out the junk and present a list of affordable but reliable 3D printers. Please see our methodology below the table for more details on how we obtained this ranking of the top 3D printers currently available.
As always with this type of lists, it is not perfect but we hope it will help you find the best cheap 3D printer for you!
The 2017 list of the best cheap 3D printers under $1,000
|Rank||3D printer||Rating||Build volume||Country||Price||Buy|
|1||Original Prusa i3 MK2||4.7||250 x 210 x 200||Czech Republic||$899|
|2||Flashforge Finder||4.3||140 x 140 x 140||China||$589|
|3||Velleman Vertex K8400||4.2||180 x 200 x 190||Netherlands||$659|
|4||Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus||4.2||200 x 200 x 180||China||$425|
|5||DreamMaker OverLord Pro||4.2||170 x 170 x 260||China||$949|
|6||Sharebot Kiwi||4.2||140 x 100 x 100||Italy||$785|
|7||Deezmaker Bukito||4.2||140 x 150 x 125||United States||$849|
|8||Wanhao Duplicator 4X||4.1||225 x 145 x 150||China||$829|
|9||Monoprice Maker Select||4.0||200 x 200 x 180||United States||$313|
|10||New Matter Mod-t||4.0||150 x 100 x 125||United States||$399|
|11||Printrbot Simple||4.0||150 x 150 x 150||United States||$599|
|12||Dremel Idea Builder||3.9||230 x 150 x 140||United States||$749|
|13||Monoprice Select Mini||3.9||120 x 120 x 120||United States||$219|
|14||Robo 3D R1 +Plus||3.7||254 x 229 x 203||United States||$699|
|15||XYZPrinting Da Vinci Pro||3.6||200 x 200 x 200||Taïwan||$499|
The Original Prusa i3 MK2 grabs the top spot of our best cheap 3D printer ranking.
How to rank the best cheap 3D printers?
We prepared this list of the best cheap 3D printers under $1,000 using the meta-ratings available on Aniwaa. To calculate these meta-ratings, we aggregate 3D printer reviews and ratings from four trustworthy sources (3D Hubs, Pinshape, Amazon and Make) then calculate an average rating for each 3D printer.
For this list of the best affordable 3D printers under $1,000, we focused on desktop 3D printer under $1,000 with ratings from at least one of our trusted sources. Some 3D printers are great but have too few ratings, so we chose not to include them here. We also did not include kit and DIY 3D printers, since these require different skills and experience.
Tip: If you are interested in researching the 3D printer market more extensively, you can use our 3D printer comparison engine.
- 3D HUBS: the well-known “Uber” of 3D printing has collected thousands of detailed and reliable user reviews. These ratings are incredibly useful, as they are crowdsourced and the large volume of data make them statistically relevant. 3D Hubs is among the most trustworthy sources for 3D printer ratings.
- Pinshape: this 3D models platform also collects user ratings on their 3D printers, making it a reliable source of crowdsourced 3D printer ratings.
- Make: this magazine caters to makers of all kinds and their journalists are experienced product reviewers. They test 3D printers following a strict protocol and produce in-depth reviews and ratings, which we list on our 3D printer pages.
- Amazon: the E-commerce giant now offer a 3D printing store where you can find many desktop 3D printers for sale. We aggregate these user ratings on Aniwaa.
- Youtube: many passionate 3D printing users have their own Youtube channels where they share 3D printer reviews among other 3D printing-related videos. We list the most interesting 3D printer reviews from these Youtubers. However, since Youtubers do not give a rating to 3D printers they test, we cannot take their videos into account to calculate the meta-rating.
In any case, we always advise to take the “best 3D printers” lists with a grain of salt. We built this list as a first step to answer the question: “What is the best 3D printer in 2016?”, which is a complex question that can be answered in many ways, depending on your specific needs, budget and experience.
We definitely recommend to get information from various sources, including 3D printing forums. Be careful in your research, many websites offer so-called 3D printer reviews or best 3D printers lists, but these are often disguised advertising with tons of Amazon links and banners on the page and we found most of these sites do not provide reliable product information. Here are some tools and links to help you further in your search for the best 3D printer:
- 3D printer comparison: we list 1,090+ 3D printers in our 3D printers comparison page.
- 3D printing forums and discussion groups: join some of these gorups to get first-hand user feedback and help from the 3D printing community on about any 3D printing-related topic!
- 3D printer reviews: you can browse some of our in-depth 3D printer reviews, carried out in our lab following a strict protocol.
Overview of the best cheap and budget 3D printers
1. Best cheap 3D printer: Original Prusa i3 MK2
- Price: $899
- Build volume: 145 x 145 x 175 mm
- Rating: 4.7/5
The Original Prusa i3 MK2 is an affordable 3D printer made by Prusa3D, a manufacturer based in Praha, Czech Republic. The Original Prusa i3 MK2 is the newest version of the famous Prusa i3 3D printer, packed with many improvements. All parts of this 3D printer are Open Source and are part of the RepRap project. The Prusa I3 design is well known for its reliability, robustness and upgradability. It is also easy to repair and maintain.
2. Best cheap 3D printer: Flashforge Finder
- Price: $589
- Build volume: 140 x 140 x 140 mm
- Rating: 4.3/5
The FlashForge Finder is a cheap desktop 3D printer designed for kids and education. This affordable 3D printer is very simple to use and has a sturdy open frame. The wifi interface makes it easy to operate and the automatic bed leveling feature is a great help for entry-level users. Overall, a solid budget 3D printer which does not compromise quality for price.
3. Best cheap 3D printer: Velleman Vertex K8400
- Price: $659
- Build volume: 180 x 200 x 190 mm
- Rating: 4.2/5
The Velleman K8400 Vertex is an affordable open-source 3D printer which produces good, consistent prints. The K8400 received good ratings across the main reliable 3D printer reviws sources which we list on Aniwaa witha 4.2 on 3D Hubs and a 4.3 on Pinshape. This cheap 3D printer comes in form of a kit which you will have to assemble yourself. Be aware that this step will require some previous 3D printing experience. Overall the Velleman Vertex K8400 is a very good value 3D printer.
4. Best cheap 3D printer: Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus
- Price: $425
- Build volume: 200 x 200 x 180 mm
- Rating: 4.2/5
The Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus is a cheap 3D printer made by Wanhao, a manufacturer based in China. Affordable, yes, but still a great 3D printer! The Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus offers a heated bed and is compatible with most of the 3D filaments of the market. The Duplicator i3 Plus is definitely among the best options for 3D printers under $1,000.
5. Best cheap 3D printer: DreamMaker OverLord Pro
- Price: $949
- Build volume: 170 x 170 x 260 mm
- Rating: 4.2/5
The OverLord Pro is a cheap 3D printer based on a Delta architecture. This affordable 3D printer is made the manufacturer DreamMaker from China, it gathered good ratings on 3D Hubs and Pinshape. We have not tested it yet but it certainly looks promising if you’re looking for a budget 3D printer.
More 3D printing resources
- Do you want to compare all existing 3D printers? Check out our 3D printers comparison engine, we have over 1,000 3D printers listed.
- Overall, what is the best 3D printer? Here is our definitive list of the best 3D printers on the market.
- Looking for the best resin 3D printer? Find out which SLA 3D printer is #1 with out ranking of the best resin (SLA/DLP) 3D printers.